Because none of the existing ones did quite what I wanted, I've created another Slideshow template, based on the jQuery Cycle plugin. See the temporary doc page.
Basically, the template will take all the images attached to a (selectable) page and make a slideshow out of them. Features:
I'm considering this just a beta right now, not because it doesn't work but merely because the features aren't completely fleshed out yet. But it's plenty usable and useful in its current form.
- Simple to use. Just attach a bunch of images to a page, and call the template.
- Preserves image aspect ratio, unlike image.slideshow(). This was actually the primary motivation for creating this template in the first place. Each image as made as large as possible to fit in the specified width and height while maintaining original aspect ratio, then centered vertically and horizontally.
- Uses webview for each image, so it comes up quickly, even with a lot of images.
- Selectable image display order. If the current page is the image source, then the order of the image gallery at the bottom of the page is automatically set to match the slideshow order (if your skin supports it; doesn't show on the dev wiki but does on Fiesta).
- Auto slideshow title: If the source page for the images is not the current page, the title of the source page is placed above the slideshow as a title. This feature will probably be altered in the future to be more flexible and controllable.